Saturday, September 16, 2017

Curb Finds

Now that my children have married and begun reproducing, I find that I have a lot more free time on my hands which, at times, is not such a good thing! Much to the chagrin of my handsome half,  I have a very difficult time passing up a good curb find. People decide they no longer want things because they're ugly, scarred, out of style or just a pile of junk, so they place them at the curb for us "fairies of recycle" to snap up!

"Curb searching" (sounds so much more classy than "junking") takes some discerning. Not everything is worth saving. If it's not solid wood, don't bother. In my opinion, one of the worst inventions of the 20th century was particle board. The stuff is worthless. And fake wood contact paper "veneer" is just that. Fake wood contact paper. 
*Rant over, soapbox open*
*Take a deep breath*

I find that the most interesting treasures appear when I least expect them. Such as this chair.




I wasn't looking for anything, and when I ran across it, I didn't necessarily have a bunch of time on my hands, but I knew a block of freedom was on the horizon so I snagged it. This little treasure fulfilled all the necessary requirements. 1. It was sturdy, and 2. it wasn't infested with bugs. Did you know that even solid wood furniture can be bug ridden? Check closely before you bring anything into your house or workshop. Those little critters can hide anywhere! So into the car it went. 






When I took it apart, I found that the seat was leather. It was old, dry and cracked, so that there was no way it could be brought back to life. And under the leather was cotton batting and horsehair. Gives you an idea of how old it is! The seat base itself was too dry and cracked to be rescued, so I had to cut a new one. I hate losing the original seat with the notations on it, but it wouldn't hold any weight as it was.

The chair is solid oak, and very straight and strong, but at some point in it's history, some well meaning soul had painted it that poop brown color that is so popular in pieces that were "re-done" in the 30's 40's and 50's. I'm guessing that the popular thought was that the paint was "almost" exactly like finished wood. Or maybe there was a run on this nasty color so it could be picked up cheaply, but it turns up often and must be eradicated. Didn't take much to cover it forever. 




Some sanding...






And a couple of coats of primer......
(My favorite workshop is the back patio when the weather is nice)




And a few coats of paint made it as good as new. 






But who wants such things to look new? So I went at it with some sandpaper in areas that would have shown age naturally, if I had wanted to wait another 30 years.




Then I added some stain to accelerate the aging. It goes right over the paint and can be applied as heavily or lightly as you prefer. I happen to like things looking nearly trashed with age, so I'm rather heavy handed. But I like the results. Then seal it well with polyurethane. 




As a last step, I went to the fabric stash. Our neighbors own a restaurant, and have passed along a couple of umbrellas when the pole broke. The fabric was in good shape and is water proof, so it's really durable with a bunch of short people on them. We're not beer drinkers, but I love the color and graphics, so it works.




Just like "new" and suits our tastes quite well. The best part is the cost. 

Chair - curb rescue = free
Paint - left over house trim = free
Stain and Poly - left over from other projects = free
Fabric and wood for seat = free 
Keeping me out of trouble = priceless!





Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, 
where moth and rust destroy 
and where thieves break in and steal,
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys
and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also. 
Matt. 6:19-21




Other projects
Family Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment